EXPERIENCES OF A LONE TRAVELLER


April 20, 3.50pm:With the anxiety that will I be able to get a berth/seat i reached vadodara station. People were leaving the station, checkers were checking tickets, guess one train had just arrived. I went directly to the chart list to know if I can get a seat. Went through the list. Still in waiting list! now was sure, that I will have to stand during journey, question was from where to where? Saw one of the compartments so quiet and spacious. Decided that will sit there. Then 4 guys came and sat near me. They also had booked the seats, but got only 2 seats confirmed till now, other 2 seats were in RAC. so they had chance at least to get the seats. They were fun, talkative, young and energetic.



April 20, 4:10pm. The train blew the siren with all its strength. Slowly the train started moving, I looked outside, felt like everything is running backwards. I liked the guys. So decided to make friends with them. Approached the guy I felt, had a calm nature .His name is sreekanth, he is working in Wipro, Chennai for the past two and half years. The same experience for the other 3 guys but for different companies. Two guys worked for satyam and the other one for catterpillar(mechanical company).They joined me also in everything they did. I never came to know the name of the other three people. They came to vadodara to attend one friend's siblings marriage. After some time, TTE came, they got seats coz some guy had cancelled his seats. I asked if I had any chance, but TTE said I got none and was asked to go to s7 coach.These friends allowed me to sit on their seat.



April 20,9.20pm: We all had our dinner, slowly everyone in the compartment cuddled to their berth, they thought of adjusting me with them, but I knew they were tight coz one of their friend had also boarded in between. So slowly I took my bag and said that I will go and search if I can find a vacant space and left the compartment. Each n every compartment was crowded. So I realised that there is no use in searching. For one moment I really felt that am alone. Then I decided that this is no time to sit miserable. Asked one guy if I can sit with him coz he was not sleeping, sat beside him. I took the novel I had with me and started reading. He too was reading some novel. Later he said he is going to sleep. So I slowly took my bag n stood near by. After some time my legs were paining, so I know at least I have to sit somewhere. Found no place n at last decided to take the gap between the berths. Spent the night looking my watch several times wishing that next time when I look, let it be 6am(that’s the official time the train will arrive at Delhi.)



April 21,6.25 am: The train reached the delhi station. I could hear the announcements loud and clearly. It’s so crowded and big. Great place to get lost. Vishnu called and we decided to meet in front of the engine. I saw vishnu coming, searching for me. We were really happy seeing each other after a good gap(to be precise 5 months)we took a line bus to his house, was telling each other what was happening for the last 5 months. Met some of his friends at his house. Talked for some time. Then had a good bath.



April 21,8.35 am: ME, vishnu and one of his friend there, left the house. We had our breakfast. I had ghee roast, Vishnu –aloo parantha and his friend chappathi and paneer. we all had fresh juice also. In between had called Gopi, Raju, Anwar and Joe. We then went near vishnu's company, saw the big building. vishnu taught me which way to go. He came to bus stop. I got one bus to New delhi, again i was on my own. All the place looked the same for me n were big. I reached New delhi and began searching for the place. The place is so big that it has AB,AC,AD... and I was supposed to find AG, after asking lot of guys and shops I found the place. By the time I reached there it was almost 11 am. I was asked to give my resume and sit outside. After sometime my name was called guy was sitting there in front of a computer hiding my own resume from me. He asked me to give self introduction. After that he asked my strength and weakness, then some questions about my journals, writings, reports and about the fresh content about the global warming I was asked to write then. After hearing my answers he was scribbling something on my resume. Then he asked where am staying, when am going back, questions like that. He then said that he will get back to me if am shortlisted and wished best for my future. With the day’s mission over, I left the office. I started walking through the busy streets. Found one juice shop. Had muzambi juice. Then went looking for internet cafe.



April 21,11.45 pm. My search for cafe ended. Found one in a place where no one was supposed to find it. Was there for 2 hours. In between checked mails and also found that I got no seats till 27th.Every single seat was reserved. After that decided to go to the Bright mall. Anwar called and said that he can’t come.



April 21, 4.55 pm : Travelling through the busy streets n main roads of delhi, I reached Bright mall. I entered the mall, wandered through shops. I called raju,he also said that he cant come. Now the only hope was in joe. I went to the ground floor where everyone was sitting and was enjoying others do the shopping. I also joined them. After sometime was bored and took a walk around the mall. Had popcorn from one of the shops. Then joe called and said that his superior is not letting him go. I said its ok even though I felt really bad that i wasn’t able to see a single person except Vishnu. Sat there hoping that Vishnu will come soon. I was having a bad headache due to lack of sleep and the day's running with the smiling sun over my head. At half past seven Vishnu came. We went to KFC and had hamburger, chicken and pepsi. Then we went to railway station. Delhi was looking good with lights all around and all the buildings had nice n fascinating architecture. Railway station itself was a fine example.



April 21, 8.45 pm : We reached delhi railway station. I left vishnu at the parking space coz I had to hurry to get tickets. Vishnu had come with his friend's bike. When I reached the ticket counter I saw people standing like chains longer than a train. There were several counters, still there was a heavy rush. Luckily i got ticket(general compartment coz no sleeper tickets).entered the compartment(2nd last).9.15 pm I heard the whistle at distance, the train started moving, thank god there will be some air circulation now. Everyone was standing like hugging each others. Vishnu called and confirmed that I got the train. For half an hour or so there wasn’t much change in situation. Seeing my tiredness and a face that yawned every 2 or 3 minutes a sardarji said I can have his seat when his place came. And I was saved from another disastrous night. Got sleeper ticket to delhi and was travelling like a poor man and on the way back got general ticket and was travelling like a king. Really funny, right? Train reached vadodara by 11.10 am. And I reached home by 11.25 pm



April 22,11.25 pm: After explaining my experiences to mom and dad, had a good bath n nice lunch. Then by 12.30 pm was slowly drowning in the ocean of dreams and ambitions still to be fulfilled ,that lasted for almost 5 hours. My experiences in delhi were sweet n sour. Even though I wasn’t there fully for a single day, it feels like I have been there for days.......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My sis

The dark night

Christmas Joy